top of page
POTA ADI File Cleaner
Logging programs commonly used by POTA activators in the field are AC Log and HAMRS, N1Mm Logger, and WSJT-X. The exported 'adi' files from these programs contain a lot of data that is not needed by the POTA logging database. This superfluous data often makes troubleshooting errors in the ADI files more time consuming.
Exported files from HAMRS, AC Log, and WSJT-X
This utility removes all unnecessary fields from an ADIF file, while preserving and organizing the minimum fields required for POTA activation logging. This utility reduces the over file size, removes unnecessary data, and produces an adi file with only required fields (and optional fields if included in the original file) to improve database upload efficiency and provide consistent organization of fields in the adi file to ease troubleshooting by area coordinators should a file error occur. If the park reference and state fields are missing from the original file exported from your logging program, they will be added to the output file from this utility.
The output is an adi file correctly formatted with the mandatory (and optional) fields, and the correctly formatted file name and put it on the user's Windows desktop.
Cleaned and organized output ADI file from POTA ADI Cleaner
Optionally, this utility will also export a second ADI file that includes all the fields from the original log and include operator, park reference, and state if those are not included in the original adi file. That file is also exported to the desk top with a file name that begins with "FULL LOG - ".
1. Download the .zip file.
Windows (or anti-virus program) will likely block the download with a warning because the file is not "signed." But you can bypass the warning to complete the download.
2. Extract the POTA ADI File Cleaner.exe file to your desktop
3. Right click the file and select "Run as administrator" from the popup menu.
4. Click the Browse button to enter the path and filename of the ADI file from your logging software.
5. Enter the Station Call sign
The Station Call is your call sign if operating as an individual. If this is a club activation and there are multiple operators, the club call sign is the Station Call, and the individual operator call sign should be included in the OPERATOR field in the original ADI file.
5. Optionally tick the "Check for club, group, special event..." checkbox and enter the operator call sign for events with multiple operators under a club/special event call sign.
6. Enter the Date of the first QSO in the log
7. If a national park spans 2 or more states, select the state from the dropdown list; otherwise leave it blank.
If the STATE field is absent in the original adi file being processed, AND you select a state from the dropdown control the STATE field will be added to the adi file produced by this utility.
8. Optionally tick the "Check to output second file..." checkbox to output the original file with park reference, state, and operator call signs.
This option is mostly used for WSJT-X and other logging software that doesn't export MY_SIG_INFO fields or data.
8. Press the OK button
Within seconds a new and properly named log file will be created on the current user's desktop for upload to the POTA site at http://pota.app/#/user/logs
VERSION 1.3 UPDATES
* All new adif parsing engine that will accept exported ADIF files from commonly used logging software programs.
* New feature to to include the Operator Call Sign for club/special event POTA activations with more than 1 operator.
* If the MY_SIG_INFO field (the Park reference the activator is working from) is missing from the submitted ADI file or any QSO record in the submitted adi file, the park reference entered in the "Park Reference" textbox will be added to the QSO missing that data.
* If the Club activation checkbox is ticked and there is an Operator call sign in the Operator Call Sign textbox, and there is NO Operator field in the submitted log, or that field is empty in one or more QSO records the call sign entered in the Operator Call Sign textbox will be entered in those QSO records.
* Added support for forward slash "/" characters in station call sign and Operator call sign. If a forward slash is used in the Station Call sign, the exported ADI file will change the forward slash to a dash "-" character in the filename ONLY. There are no changes to the Station Call Sign in the adi log file.
* Corrected error that omitted 2 optional ADIF fields (SUBMODE and SIG) that would omit these fields from the output if those fields were included in the orginal adi file.
* Corrected error that did not write optional Operator Call Sign to QSOs in the exported log if it was selected.
Additional error checking
* Simple check to ensure Station Call Sign is alpha/numeric characters only
* Simple check to ensure Operator Call Sign is alpha/numeric characters only
* Simple check to ensure Park Reference has a dash, the prefix is alpha/numeric and the suffix is <= 5 digits (although currently there are only 4).
bottom of page